Monday 21 April 2008

The Yanks

So, here we are, on the eve of Liverpool FC's third Champions League semi-final in four years. And what are we talking about? The devastating form of Fernando Torres? The fact Steven Gerrard is showing his most consistent form in some time? Or maybe, Rafa Benitez's tactical masterstroke in switching formations - a move that has paid off handsomely at just the right time?
No, none of the above. It's still the Yanks. George Gillett and Tom Hicks. The owners. Boardroom people. People in suits. Rick Parry. People, quite frankly, that I don't give a flying about.
Now don't get me wrong, I want them out of the club as much as the next Red. They have let the club down, they have lied and they have conducted themselves in a manner that is just not "The Liverpool Way".
But, for now, I actually want them to STAY. I want them to stay until the end of the season.
And the reason? I think they're helping us towards a sixth European Cup.
Not in the way I would of wanted, I might add. Not because they've stumped up the cash for a string of super signings. Not because they've created a buzz around the club by ensuring work started on the new stadium. Because they haven't.
No, they are helping because lazy football journalists - and news journalists for that matter - are content to write pages and pages of reports about this pair of muppets.
And I think that's helped to take the pressure off the people that really matter, the team. Liverpool are almost expected to fail because of what is happening off the pitch. And if they do, which obviously I am praying they don't, the 'experts' will shrug their shoulders and say 'I told you so.' In the meantime, we've brushed aside the so-called fight for fourth, sealed another showdown with Chelsea in the semis and witnessed the best striker in Europe notch goal after goal.
We're playing well. And consistently well. And it's almost like no-one has noticed.
So if Hicks wants to keep on making a mug of himself (see what I did there?) and Gillett and Parry want to stick their chests out for the cameras, let them. If it means a sixth European Cup sitting in the Anfield trophy cabinet it will almost be worth it!